[PLUG] Mount can't make up its mind

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed May 2 00:58:53 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> Surely two 18 amp 12 volt rails should be adequate. Obviously something
> else is going on. It always and only happens when I try to format the
> 250 GB partitions. Software issue? Something shutting down the computer
> if it thinks someone is formatting a drive? Bug in fsck? Bad hard drive
> (brand new, Western Digital Caviar)? Feed caviar to the drives?

This sounds a *little* like an overheating thing, but that's really a
long-shot.  I don't know of many things that will intentionally make a
computer go black like that.  Generally this would be almost certainly
be accompanied by some form of beeping, hopefully from a small
on-board speaker (not the pc speaker, or not *just* the pc speaker),
but if for some reason the speakers are borked, this could be the
reason...

Anyway, just throwing that out as something to check.  Pop into your
bios and see what the thermal alarms are set to, and maybe tweak them
down a *lot* and see if the same thing happens under a controlled
test.

--Rogan