[PLUG] Superblock problem -- Somewhat resolved

William A Morita wamorita at hevanet.com
Wed May 2 22:27:36 UTC 2007

Being puzzled with my results from e2fsck I began poking around in the
"recovery" shell that I was repeatedly forced into at boot.
First discovery, /etc/fstab had been blasted -- I recovered from a fstab~
file.
This still did not solve the boot problem.
On a lark I attempted to run emacs ... It RAN!.
I then did a "mount -a" and everything mounted except /boot.
I then tried "init 3" and finally "init 5".
The system came up all the way!
I am still not clear on what is broken, but I will begin backing up things
immediately.
I wish Centos 5 or Scientific Linux 5 was already out ... I would convert
now.
I think I can limp along until then.

- Bill Morita

wamorita at hevanet.com