[PLUG] Eye candy Web pages

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Thu May 3 21:44:49 UTC 2007

Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com> wrote:
>> I'm updating some web sites so they don't look like
>> they were designed by an oaf with no eye for style (me).
>> For the BizNix site, for example, I'd like something that
>> scrolls words and phrases in some sexy way. If you look
>> at the main page (http://biznix.org/) now, I have a
>> Javascript text scroller that minimally does the job.
>> It doesn't look great.
>
> Just because I can't resist...
>
> Does the site really have a problem that's solved by animation?
> Movement is generally a bad thing, unless you really want your users
> to be focused on the moving stuff.  (is a scrolling marquee really
> that much different from a blink tag?)

I'm a technical geek happy to look at static and understated
content. I prefer function over form. But lately I've been
paying more attention to what other people, such as my
customers, think. Animation and sexy graphics make a big
difference to them. A company with inferior products can
easily gain the edge with a good looking Web site.

Ed