[PLUG] tar help

Kenneth B. Hill ken at scottshill.com
Fri May 4 04:38:41 UTC 2007

I hope that I am replying to the list correctly; I get them in a
bundle once or twice a day. What is the difference between tar and
zip (or gzip or gz). Galen Seitz (and/or Michael Rasmussen) replied
to my comment below that tar does not compress files; I thought it
did. I use the Ubuntu distro and the gzip from the command line to
compress very large files 5+ MB to an archive type of directory. I
thought that tar did a similar type of compression but with a
different file name extension. Can someone provide me with some
further insight?

Ken

Message: 5