[PLUG] HUGHES.NET ( Satellite ) and Linux/Network

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 4 14:42:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 4 May 2007, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> A friend who lives in an area without earth based high speed connectivity
> has signed up for hughes.net service.  When the technician arrived to set
> him up all went well until it came time to connect the Linux box.  The
> technician didn't know anything about linux ... go figure eh?

Rod,

   Reminds me of Yellow Pine, ID. They first got land-line phone service
about 6-8 years ago. Before that it was radiotelephones.

   I hooked up my linux notebook to my satellite phone (on the Iridium
network) several years ago, but the data transmission rate was very slow,
the price high, and the need not pressing. It wasn't difficult.