[PLUG] HUGHES.NET ( Satellite ) and Linux/Network

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri May 4 17:37:15 UTC 2007

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Anyone hooked up to hughes.net from their linux box or a SOHO network?
> If so do I need to get anything _extra_ to make it work?

I can't offer any personal experience, but I'm interested in how it
works out for your friend.

I did a Google search on 'RV "high speed Internet"' awhile back.
Eventually I found this page:

http://www.copperhead.cc/fap.htm

It explains the hughes.net Fair Access Policy. It's hughes.net's way of
preventing anyone from doing lots of downloads a lot of the time. Once
you get to your quota your effective download speed drops to that of a
56k baud modem and stays there for the "recovery period", which may be
8-12 hours (see the above web site for details). It would become a
problem if one is trying to download an install DVD, for example.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens