[PLUG] Mounting an odd filesystem type

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat May 5 17:57:41 UTC 2007

I tried adding another drive to my vintage 1995 200MHz NEC machine
(really Packard-Bell) to replace the no-longer-working 40 GB drive. When
I installed it, the BIOS recognized it and reported the correct Seagate
model number, but fdisk couldn't access it. Since I have a newer, 330
MHz machine I can "upgrade" to, I decided to copy what was left on the
still-working 8.4 GB drive over to my main machine. The NEC has RH 7.0
loaded on it, but I never did get nfs working. I do have Samba working,
so I added a few lines to make / visible to my network. For whatever
reason, that didn't work. The other two shares in smb.conf do work, but
don't capture all I want to get. So, on to step 2.

I pulled the drive from the NEC and installed it in my USB IDE
enclosure. fdisk -l shows:

Disk /dev/sda: 8622 MB, 8622931456 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1048 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

But, mount won't mount it. I'm pretty sure it has an ext2 file system on
it, but that's not what fdisk shows:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 8622 MB, 8622931456 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1048 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1        1047     8410023   54  OnTrackDM6

I remember having to use the OnTrack software to get the machine to be
able to use the large (for 1995) drive. I can still boot from it, and I
suspect I'll be able to find some place in the home network that will
see it. But, I'd rather learn how to deal with this with mount, or some
other tool.

Any ideas?

--
Regards,