[PLUG] HUGHES.NET ( Satellite ) and Linux/Network

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Sun May 6 18:00:14 UTC 2007

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> Anyone hooked up to hughes.net from their linux box or a SOHO network?
>> If so do I need to get anything _extra_ to make it work?
>
> I can't offer any personal experience, but I'm interested in how it
> works out for your friend.
>
> I did a Google search on 'RV "high speed Internet"' awhile back.
> Eventually I found this page:
>
> http://www.copperhead.cc/fap.htm
>
> It explains the hughes.net Fair Access Policy. It's hughes.net's way of
> preventing anyone from doing lots of downloads a lot of the time. Once
> you get to your quota your effective download speed drops to that of a
> 56k baud modem and stays there for the "recovery period", which may be
> 8-12 hours (see the above web site for details). It would become a
> problem if one is trying to download an install DVD, for example.

I think this is true with all Sat ISP's.  They limit in overall
transfer.  Not pretty after you hit that limit.  But even while
operating normally, my friends church (in clackamas) has outage problems
weekly, and the speed is very inconsistent.  Support literally tells him
it will be a week before someone can come out and help.  His modem, and
most other Sat modems are standard DOCSIS modems, the same as any cable
modem.  So platform shouldn't matter.  I have an OpenBSD firewall
getting the first IP at his location.

--
- m0gely