[PLUG] The bullet has been bitten

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon May 7 06:09:51 UTC 2007

Carlos Konstanski wrote:
> Everything I read on google in the last 10 minutes indicates that
> there are many gentoo users running this CPU. There's more to kernel
> happiness than the CPU choice. I would lay suspicion on the video
> card first (assuming none of the hardware is clinically ill). Do you
> have an ATI Radeon video card? I can get one of those to freeze a
> machine.
Nope -- 100 percent pure nVidia chipset/motherboard. I haven't found a
drop of ATI blood anywhere.
> Try the ubuntu installer in text mode, if that choice is offered. If
> it doesn't freeze in text mode, that points to the video card. I'd
> bet that's why you could get debian installed (is the debian installer
> still text-only?).
Neither the Etch installer nor the CentOS installer has frozen in GUI
mode. Only Feisty did that. :)

> I always have to install redhat ES 4 in text mode on IBM 346's, which
> come with an ATI Radeon card. And I have to add "nolapic" to the
> kernel command line until I can get into the running redhat load and
> change the video driver to vesa in xorg.conf. Then I remove
> "nolapic".
That's probably worth trying on the CentOS side. I'm just about to give
up on CentOS because I can't get a decent-looking screen -- vesa mode
may just be what I'm looking for. :) Do I *have* to remove "nolapic"??