[PLUG] X on another machine

Russ Gilman-Hunt (YAR) gilmanhunt at comcast.net
Mon May 7 16:52:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 07 May 2007 09:31:02 -0700
"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> I understand how to log on to machine B from machine A via ssh to give
> me command line access to machine B, but what do you call the concept
> of logging on to machine B from machine A in such a way as to be able
> to run X-windows programs on machine B, but see then on machine A?

Personally, I call it "magic" ...

Given that both systems have the X software installed, if you ssh from
A to B with the flags "-X -A", if sshd_config on B allows X11
forwarding, you can run X programs on B like "gvim file" and have the
window pop up on A.

I can do it from here to a system I develop on in Houston, but the
resulting gvim window is less responsive than a "normal" terminal
window. Your mileage may vary.

--
Russ Gilman-Hunt
http://www.arghwebworks.com/