Resolved: [PLUG] Bad Controller?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon May 7 22:21:16 UTC 2007

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> If you're determined to try to save it, download a copy the Ultimate Boot
> Disk and run the MHDD tool that it has on the drive. It will have to be
> on a
> "real" IDE controller for it to work, not a USB enclosure, but if you run
> the surface scan and remap (if it can run) it might be able to let you
> salvage some data. I've used MHDD to bring a number of drives back from the
> brink. In fact, I have a formerly "bad" HDD running in my laptop right now.
> Did a forced remap of a few sectors and it's been rock solid for over a
> year.

Thanks for the advice. I'll file this for future reference.

I solved the problem by mounting the 13 GB drive in my USB-IDE enclosure
on my SuSE machine and copying the files from my XP laptop. Then I moved
the 13 GB drive to the "new" 330 MHz machine that will replace the old
200 MHz machine. That took about 3.5 hours, but I wasn't doing anything
else with the machines at the time, so I didn't mind.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens