[PLUG] CruiseControl, Linux, JMX

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:53:10 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, tkubaska at charter.net <tkubaska at charter.net> wrote:
> Are any PLUG people using CruiseControl on Linux? We want to dedicate a server to running continuous builds and and wanting to administer and monitor those builds remotely. We're thinking about writing our own PHP interface to CruiseControl or using the CruiseControl JMX console and automatically emailling developers about status and failures.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Do you have advice or recommendations? Thanks.

I'm don't have a lot of experience with Java so that this for what it is worth.
I have tried on two different occasions to get cruisecontrol up and
running.  Once I got
it to show web pages but it was too difficult for me to configure the
projects all of which
were not Java based.

When I started at my current company I looked again at these type of
systems.  I tried
three different ones (actually more but the others didn't have the feature set
needed) selected from this web site
http://damagecontrol.codehaus.org/Continuous+Integration+Server+Feature+Matrix

luntbuild
bettlejuice
pulse

For me,the major hassle of getting these up and running was getting
the Sun Java SDK
installed correctly on Fedora.  The next step was finding the
necessary environment
variables that were expected to allow the program to find and use java.

The simplest method I found to getting Java setup for these programs
was to just place
a copy locally for the program since I was going to use a specific
user for doing the builds
anyway.

luntbuild - manual setup, manual project configuration, manual
administration.  Never was
able to get a project configured.
Bettlejuice came with it own embedded version of java so that issue
was removed but
it wanted to be installed in a specific location running as root.
Configuring projects was not intuitive mostly manual.

We eventually settled on pulse.  Getting this setup and running after
the experience of
doing the others was simple.  Once I got a project up and working,  I
could turn over
the admin of the server to a manager.  It was that simple to use.