[PLUG] Gaim fails if automatically loaded.

Denis Heidtmann denish at dslnorthwest.net
Thu May 10 03:49:32 UTC 2007

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Denis Heidtmann <denish at dslnorthwest.net> wrote:
>>
>> If Gaim is automatically run by KDE during boot, any attempt to use it
>> causes it
>> go instantly close.  (My standard test is to right click on an entry in
>> the
>> buddy list.) Top shows Gaim as running when the session starts, but it
>> goes away
>> when I perform the right click. Restarting Gaim from the K menu works
>> fine, and
>> no more problems occur during that session.
>

> Disclaimer: I'm not a KDE user, so this idea may be totally wrong
>
> I've seen problems similar to happen when a program starts to early in
> session initialization and some of the environment variables and whatnot
> that it is expecting to see haven't been setup yet. Granted this was on
> Gnome, and a _long_ time ago. But, you might want to see if you can have it
> start later in the session setup and see if that helps. As I said though, I
> don't even know if KDE has a mechanism to do this, but I would assume that
> they do...

The problem Gaim launch is precipitated by either telling KDE to restore the
previous session, or telling KDE to save the current session.  I would be
surprised if there is a way to influence when KDE does the restore during
session initialization.

I believe there are other ways to launch applications on starting a session, but
I do not know what they are.  My impression is that there are many ways.

One thing I notice is that in the Kmenu System Settings there is a tab for
"Default Applications".  On that window the Instant Messenger is shown as
Kopete.  There is a drop-down list, but only Kopete is on the list.  Adept shows
Kopete as installed.  Should I uninstall it? (A long time ago I tried Kopete but
found it inadequate for various reasons.)

-Denis