[PLUG] The bullet has been bitten

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu May 10 14:32:49 UTC 2007

M> Gentoo is probably the best distro for people who are, like me, in
M> the process of kernel/hardware testing. Most of the other distros
M> have created monstrous kernels that attempt to support every piece
M> of gear one could possibly own and don't really make it *easy* to
M> recompile a kernel. Debian at least provides the capability of
M> rebuilding kernels, although I couldn't figure it out the other
M> day.

I almost uniformily build my own kernels from vanilla kernel.org
source for my Debian installs and they always work for me.  I avoid
the initrd stuff, so I am actually a bit ignorant about getting those
working.

Perhaps as a consequence, when I try to help people who are using
initrd's and/or redhat derivatives, my ignorance tends to lead to
non-success.  E.g., I was trying to help someone with madwifi drivers
on Fedora (I think it was), a having built a vanilla kernel got a
panic during boot.  The madwifi thing is still unsolved.  We tried a
fresh ubuntu live cd also.  Interface is there, but the damned thing
doesn't want to associate.  On my laptop same driver "works for me".

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net