[PLUG] SATA II, mdadm and soft power off

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Sat May 12 04:43:36 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> I still can't get my new desktop working with RAID 1. I can create a
> small RAID 1 partition, but on a large one I get a sudden power off.
>
> Hardware:
> Abit NF-M2S motherboard
>         nVidia 405 chipset, including 2 SATA II connections
>         Realtek 8169SC gigabit
>         nVidia GeForce 6100
> AMD2-64 4600
> (2) DVD+-RW dual layer on ATA, master and slave

<snip>
Have you tried running the smartctl tools on the drives individually? I
think you can get alot of information from that tool. Where I'm going with
this and I very well could be wrong but you can look at the spin up times of
the disks and other raw data. Maybe running Gkrellm while trying to create
the array (inside an already booted system?, I know very little about
software raid). I found a few bug posts about a race condition in mdadm from
back in feb of this year but apparently have been fixed that seemed to match
atleast the booting issues you're having with the feisty install. Sorry this
might not be much help just trying to toss anything out there at this point
to help you out.

Drew-