[PLUG] SATA II, mdadm and soft power off

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat May 12 17:31:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 08:32:34PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I still can't get my new desktop working with RAID 1. I can create a
> small RAID 1 partition, but on a large one I get a sudden power off.

I'm quite convinced that it's a bad power supply.
Sometimes you get two in a row.

I suspect you'll see the same thing if you run some sort of disk
operation on all the disks at the same time, e.g.:
  dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null &
  dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null &
  dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/null &

The FreeGeek thriftstore might let you try it out with one of their
power supples.