[PLUG] SATA II, mdadm and soft power off

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat May 12 18:57:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, 12 May 2007 10:31:04 -0700
Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> dijo:

> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 08:32:34PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I still can't get my new desktop working with RAID 1. I can create a
> > small RAID 1 partition, but on a large one I get a sudden power off.
>
> I'm quite convinced that it's a bad power supply.
> Sometimes you get two in a row.

In the world of computers, anything is possible. But one was the PS
that came with the case (RaidMax) and the new one is an Antec.

> I suspect you'll see the same thing if you run some sort of disk
> operation on all the disks at the same time, e.g.:
>   dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null &
>   dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null &
>   dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/null &
>
> The FreeGeek thriftstore might let you try it out with one of their
> power supples.

I thought of that, but I'm not sure if the PS units they have would
have the proper connectors for this motherboard, plus it needs 12 volts
separately for the CPU with a funny four-pin square connector I've
never seen before.

As for the disk operation, I'm currently running mhdd from the Ultimate
Boot CD. No errors so far, but we'll see how it goes. I think Galen is
right and I need to run something that tests both disks at the same
time to see if the problem is in mdadm or in the controller. So far it
appears that there is no problem with the power running either disk by
itself.