[PLUG] The bullet has been bitten

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon May 14 00:26:43 UTC 2007

Russell Senior wrote:

> Russell> I almost uniformily build my own kernels from vanilla
> Russell> kernel.org source for my Debian installs and they always work
> Russell> for me.  I avoid the initrd stuff, so I am actually a bit
> Russell> ignorant about getting those working.
>
> Paul> /usr/sbin/update-initramfs ... it's your friend! :-)
>
> Excellent.  Thanks!
>
> /me makes mental note in wet sand at low tide.

Well ... it's been a week of hacking, but I finally have the thing
stabilized. Apparently Windows will run on this motherboard with only a
single 1 GB DIMM, but Linux won't. The motherboard manual doesn't say
you need to pair them, but apparently you do. Either that or 1 GB wasn't
enough and the kernel was getting into trouble when asked to manage
memory. I think it's a little of both, but for now it's solidly running
compiles and kernel builds without crashing. Once I get Gentoo all
recompiled I'll run some RAM stress tests and see if I can find
something in the kernel I can reproduce.

Onward and upward to bigger and better things -- Debian "sid" has the
Kernel Virtual Machine packages, and the Athlon64 X2 is showing the
"svm" flag, which indicates that it ought to work. So ... I think I'll
play around with that.