[PLUG] Bug-tracking software.

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon May 14 17:33:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> Trac is the best option that I know of, but honestly, we don't need
> a wiki, and we especially don't need another markup language to
> learn (we use a twiki for most of our internal documentation).
> This could be mitigated with a Trac WikiProcessor, but it's still
> solves a lot of problems we don't have, and it doesn't look easy to
> trim the system down so that it's just a bug tracker.

I use Trac/Subversion for IT configuration management. Key things I
like:

  * People can browse source code without having to check it out. That
    may not be important in your situation, but it's great for sysadmin
    stuff, e.g., people who want to look at the aliases file.

  * When tickets are different in terms of particulars but share
    similar themes, a wiki page is a great place to document
    the overlap. Since tickets use wiki markup, building links
    to the wiki page, related tickets, and, if necessary, the
    underlying source code is easy.

  * I've yet to see a body of source code that can't benefit from
    meta-documents that discuss organization, code style, future
    plans, known errors, etc. The Trac wiki is superb for that.

  * It's true that Twiki's markup is somewhat different than Trac's
    (which is MoinMoin-based), but our own internal conversion was
    very smooth. I wrote a LastModified macro that duplicates Twiki's
    nifty last-change feature -- and my Python skills are next to
    non-existent. :-) Our Twiki users were able to migrate to Trac
    quite easily.