[PLUG] Photobucket privacy policy

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue May 15 01:55:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 06:26:36PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> Can this be correct??  How common is this type of thing?
>
> Quote from a BROL posting:
>
> I have pictures available (the bike looks brand new). However, when I read
> the privacy policy at Photobucket, I decided not to post them there (you
> agree to let them put spyware on your computer and track all of your site
> visits to any site if you sign up with them).

I suspect the dude's confoozled.  I didn't see anything like that in
their ToS.  Though maybe (a) some scammer is pretending to be
Photobucket and seeing how many folks they can sucker into installing
their spyware or (b) Photobucket tracks what webpages are using their
pictures through referrals, and dude thought that meant spyware.

It's nice hosting one's own images.  When folks start using your
pictures and leeching your bandwidth, you can have fun with mod_rewrite:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000826.html