[PLUG] SOHO NAS recommendations

eehouse.org eehouse at eehouse.org
Tue May 15 16:55:53 UTC 2007

> Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 00:37:12 -0700
> From: m0gely <m0gely at telestream.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] SOHO NAS recommendations
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
> 	<plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
>
> Aaron Burt wrote:
>
> > The Buffalo Terastations are quite popular for all the reasons you
> > listed.  http://www.google.com/search?q=terastation
>
> Wow.  They are all pretty much a grand.  And replacement 500G drives are
> $400+.  I wonder if they don't allow for use with a user supplied drive?
>   I guess it may be worth it if it can truely and easily automate
> multi-platform backups, but man. $1000...

If you dig a bit deeper on the site you'll see "developer" models that
come without hard drives.  You can then go buy drives with much better
warranties than Buffalo offers on the unit.

Apparently there are tricks to matching drives in a RAID unit: more
than just size matters.  Geometry and the like.  That's something I'll
have to understand when it's my turn to find quiet, reliable storage.

--Eric