[PLUG] SATA II, mdadm and soft power off

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue May 15 17:35:36 UTC 2007

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 09:58:07 -0700
> Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> dijo:
>
>> John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> Well, I finally managed to get my thumb drive bootable and the computer
>>> boots to it. However, I'm having a problem with FreeDOS finding the
>>> flash utility. When I put the USB stick in my Feisty laptop Nautilus
>>> pops up a window and I can see the directory m613z15 and the five files
>>> inside it. When I use the USB stick to boot the new desktop I get an A:
>>> \ prompt, but I can't figure out how to see the folder. In fact there
>>> are a bunch of other files on the USB stick (old homeworks and stuff),
>>> and all DOS sees is its own files. I think I need to mount the root of
>>> the USB FAT32 in DOS, but I can't figure out how to do that.
>>>
>>> Off to google on FreeDOS and see if I can find instructions.
>> "After booting from the drive, A: is a ramdisk version of the freedos
>> image file.  Any writes to A: will be lost on a reboot.  C: is the
>> filesystem on the USB drive."
>>
>> So to see the files on the USB drive, enter 'cd c:', or just 'c:' to
>> change your working directory, then enter 'dir'.
>
> Well, that sounds simple enough! However, it didn't work.
>
> A:\> c:
> Invalid drive C:.
> A:\> cd c:
> Drive C: not responding
>
> I think it thinks that c: is the hard drive in the computer, not the
> USB stick. That's just a SWAG.*

Sorry, it worked here, but I have SCSI disks.  As Larry suggested,
perhaps it is using a different drive letter.  I'm guessing e: or g:
since you have two SATA disks.  I'd just try working my way up
starting with d:.  Perhaps someone with DOS knowledge can tell us how
to determine which drive letters are active.

galen