[PLUG] Bug-tracking software.

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue May 15 17:58:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 10:36:01AM -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007, alan wrote:
>
> >The hard part of any bug tracking or trouble ticket system is
> >getting people to make clear descriptions of the problem.
>
> The four interesting questions that ought to be listed at the top of
> bug-report or trouble-ticket forms:
>
> 1. What were you trying to do?
> 2. What did you expect to happen?
> 3. What actually happened?
> 4. Describe any steps you've taken to work around or understand the
>    problem.

Hm.  One *does* ask those questions over-and-over.  I used to simply
tell users to "email RT" when they had a problem.  We also gave users
access to RT to enter tickets.  I'm thinking that a webform at
http://help that just asks those 4 questions (plus, "0. who are you?")
would be just the ticket.

C.f. Steve Krug's _Don't Make Me Think_.