[PLUG] SOHO NAS recommendations

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Tue May 15 20:31:56 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, Quentin Hartman <qhartman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/14/07, Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> wrote:
> >
> > The Buffalo Terastations are quite popular for all the reasons you
> > listed.  http://www.google.com/search?q=terastation
>

> Based on the reading I've done, I'd second the recomendation for the Buffalo
> product. Another option that may be interesting is the Drobo.
> http://www.drobo.com. It's USB only AFAIK, so it would have to be shared via
> a host computer, but if it does all it claims to, it makes maintenance about
> as brainless as it could possibly be. That might be enough of a win to make
> it worth hanging off of one of your existing systems rather than having a
> dedicated device.

Hmm... it does seem like an interesting device, at least from the
video, but at ~$400 without drives or networking... I don't think so.
In particular, all my current (meaning not too slow to handle gigabit)
systems are laptops, so I don't really want to hang it off any of
them.

I'll look into the Buffalo, but is that really the only option out
there?  I guess I'm a bit surprised, I didn't think this would be that
uncommon.

Jason