[PLUG] ISP email server application

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed May 16 01:16:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:17:53PM -0700, Sean Whitney wrote:
> My consulting company just got a call out of the blue to help a small
> local struggling ISP clean up a mess created by the former owners.

Ooh.  Sounds painful, with potential for unpaid bills.  Good luck,
define the deliverables IN PRINT beforehand and collect your money promptly.

> I can manage everything but the billing system and the email server
> platform.

That's half of the job, innit?

> It should
> 1) Be managable by a gui (for future admins after we are done)

What kind of admins are they planning on hiring?  MCSEs?

> 2) Support thousands of email accounts
> 3) Preferable have a "free" version and have support available for
> purchase if needed/wanted.
> 4) Use a db for mail storage (as opposed to the filesystem)

Email: Cyrus-imap, usually with Postfix and SASL.
No reccs for billing; check freshmeat.net.

My recommended direction of travel would be "away",
  Aaron