[PLUG] atmel usb wireless + openSuSE 10.2 = machine hangs

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Wed May 16 02:32:59 UTC 2007

This is a new one for me... I've had a Linksys Wireless USB working in a
machine (running either knoppix, SuSE 6, or SuSE 9) for 5 years.  A few
weeks ago, the drive died, and with the new drive I figured it was time to
put a new version of SuSE on the machine.

Long story short, when I load up the wireless module (something which is
much more troublesome now than it used to be, for some reason) the machine
locks up solid within 2 minutes.  I've booted the machine into 'safe'
mode, and put it in runlevel 3 (network, no GUI) to reduce the number of
variables. Machine will run all day, until I load the ap76_usb.ko module
and fire up the network (which works, briefly) -- then it hangs within a
few minutes.

I'm strongly considering the kernel module, or the firmware, as the
culprit here.  Any ideas about further troubleshooting or (even better!)
fixing the problem?

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com