[PLUG] SOHO NAS recommendations

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu May 17 01:40:28 UTC 2007

On 5/15/07, Jason Martin <nsxfreddy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll look into the Buffalo, but is that really the only option out
> there?  I guess I'm a bit surprised, I didn't think this would be that
> uncommon.

It's the combination of your requirement for gigabit, cross-platform
compatibility, and your (apparent) top-end budget. Most of the devices out
there that have gigabit are geared towards "enterprise" environments and
therefore expensive. The ones that are attainable by mere mortals settle on
100MB, and/or only work with Windows.

My solution to this problem was to build an inexpensive box dedicated to the
task. For less than $1000 I was able to put together about 1TB of usable
storage available via any protocol I could hope for, with 3 Gb interfaces,
that also does my home routing/firewalling.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-