[PLUG] ISP email server application

slinkymax0r slinkywizard at integraonline.com
Thu May 17 02:51:38 UTC 2007

> Dan Young wrote:
>> On 5/15/07, Sean Whitney <sean.whitney at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any recommendations?

I would drop the requirement for "DB" mail storage.  Following in MS's
footsteps in this regard is not a very good idea, same could be said for
Comcast in many respects.   Could you could elaborate on the "DB"
requirement a little bit?

For ISP level mail services, you're going to have to do some work, and it
will probably involve rolling your own system to a certain degree.

Personally, starting from scratch I'd use a combo of OpenLDAP, Postfix and
Dovecot  as the basis of the system.  You can involve databases (Mysql
Postgres or whatever) in conjunction with standard mailbox formats to
speed up some operations... such enhancements are easily available when
you need them.

GUI, and user facing stuff is available, but you'll have to do some work
to make it pretty.  The major reward is that you preserve the necessary
modularity to switch out or change components without having to deal with
vendor lock in, which is very important when dealing with fancy TDM or SIP
network integration for unified messaging.

Regards,
Max