[PLUG] MySQL - Can't connect except as root

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu May 17 17:44:42 UTC 2007

drew wymore wrote:

> It sounds like the password is being truncated to 8 characters maybe? Try
> just using an 8 character password and see what happens.

I tried a 8 character password, but still can't connect.

> mysql -u bookorama -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'bookorama'@'localhost'
(using password: YES)

Paul Mullen wrote:

> MySQL creates a hash of the password, similar to what you see in your
> system's /etc/passwd (or /etc/shadow) file. While the hash is almost
> certainly greater than 8 bytes long, it's possible the MySQL GUI only
> shows eight asterisks as a matter of policy (displaying the hash
> itself would probably just confuse the app's average user).

I suspect you're right about what the GUI displays. I have a 7 character
password for the mysql root user, and the GUI still shows 8.

Looking further with MySQL Administrator, I discover that the resource
limits seem to default to zero. There are three resources with a number
next to each. They are:

max_questions   [0   ] Number of queries the user can execute within one
hour.

max_updates     [0   ] Number of updates the user can execute within one
hour.

max_connections [0   ] Number of connections to the server the user can
open in an hour.

If the number of connections is zero, then that explains why I can't
connect. When I try to change that number I get the error message:

Well, there was an error message the first time I tried it, but now it
(MySQL Administrator) will accept changes. The error message said
something to the effect that the changes couldn't be made, and reported
a MySQL error number of 0 (I think).

It didn't make any difference as to whether I could connect or not, though.

Also, I notice that the same lack of resources is shown for root.
However that does not prevent me from connecting as (MySQL) root.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens