[PLUG] Skype and the yealink driver...

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Fri May 18 23:39:58 UTC 2007

On 5/18/07, someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> Michael Robinson
>
> I'm trying to get the yealink driver from
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/ to work. My
> testbed for my first try has been CentOS 5.

> Problems on CentOS 5...
>
> I had to change yealink.c to include linux/usb/input.h instead
> of linux/usb_input.h.  A 2.6.18 and higher kernel change it
> seems.
>
> There isn't a CentOS 5 compatible Skype as far as I can tell.

> Problems on Fedora Core 3...
>
> How do I get the kernel source code to compile it against?
> Fedora seems to have a horrid habit of becoming repositoryless
> fairly rapidly.  If anyone is thinking, "why aren't you using
> Fedora Core 7," there isn't a skype download for Fedora Core 7.

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but have you actually *tried*
Skype on Fedora 7 or CentOS 5?  It is entirely possible it will work
just fine (I don't know, I don't use Skype).

> Skype 1.3.0 seems to crash a lot and I don't know why.
>
> I'm surprised there isn't an Ubuntu package on
> http://www.skype.com/.  Fedora is incredibly popular, but
> it's tremendously difficult to support it long term.  The
> boosters of Skype are making a huge mistake IMHO remaining
> Windows/Mac centric and closed source in my opinion.

What is the *business* decision for either open-source or Linux *in
Skype's business environment*?  Have you done a market analysis to
determine if more support for open-source and or open-sourcing the
application itself will generate more revenue than the cost to support
it?

> Skype on Freedos 1.1 or 2.0, whatever it gets called, would be
> awesome. Picture running freedos with Skype installed via qemu
> on practically any Linux system.
>
> CentOS 5 has Xen, but I'm not familiar with it.

> Problems with XP Home via vmware player on Fedora Core 3...
>
> It was too slow.
>
> I'm running into sound problems.
>
> Activation is a show stopper sometimes.

Virtualization and emulation have I/O overhead that do not lend well
to isochronous traffic like VoIP.

> A workaround that might work is a skype phone with Linux
> built into it already that you plug directly into your DSL
> modem or Internet accessible network switch.  Phillips
> apparently sells a popular cordless skype phone in Europe
> that doesn't need a seperate computer running skype to
> work.
>
> I know that Vonage offers wifi based Internet telephony, but
> it's $27/month for that service.
>
> My brother Andrew wrote a Java application to talk over the
> Internet between two iBooks, but it was buggy and you had to
> use the ip address ( which is often dynamic ) to make a call.
>
> Is comcast's hype that their digital phone service is not an
> Internet phone justified?

Dunno, if you're going to pay for phone why not PSTN?

Jason