[PLUG] Automounting of USB thumbdrive.

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat May 19 02:20:12 UTC 2007

# from Richard C. Steffens
# on Friday 18 May 2007 04:26 pm:

>The first time I plugged
>it into my SuSE 10.1 system a Konqueror window opened showing me the
>empty drive. It worked that way once or twice since then. I don't use
> it too much, so it's been several weeks since I've plugged it in.
> Now, nothing happens when I plug it in.

Does "nothing happens" persist across a reboot?  I think kde is
watching /dev and maybe /etc/fstab (I've gotten the popup before after
adding an fstab entry) with FAM (or maybe something more deeply
connected to udev.)  If it is FAM and the device node (e.g. /dev/sda1)
is hanging around (i.e. maybe usb_storage module is not unloading),
then FAM would not fire an event because the directory didn't change.

If root does `fdisk -l` or "whatever that command is that triggers a
re-read of the partition table" (sorry, memory failure), then /dev/sda1
appears (assuming that /dev/sda was there and sda1 was not.)

If you don't find something there, you might as well check out the kde
svn because it ain't in the "handbook" :-D

--Eric
--
"Insert random misquote here"