[PLUG] advice wanted; RH certification usefulness

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat May 19 17:43:25 UTC 2007

David Fleck wrote:
> pluggers-
>
> I recently got this e-mail from a person I know (somewhat).  She's looking
> for career-type advice, and what I do for a living nowadays isn't really
> sysadmin-oriented anymore, so I think my answers would be of limited help.
> I know there are a number of you sysadmin types out there, so any thoughts
> you have would be appreciated, I'm sure.
>
> Thanks in advance-
>
> --
> David Fleck
> david.fleck at mchsi.com

Well ... let me answer this, since I have some experience in this area:

1. First of all, unless you *want* a career/position administering Red
Hat Enterprise Linux systems, don't bother with an RHCE. If you don't
truly want to be a Linux system administrator at all, you're wasting
your time and your money.

2. Re-read point number one -- do you truly truly in your heart of
hearts want to be a system adminstrator? Why? Because it pays better
than McDonald's? Because you're on some kind of power trip? Or because
it's what you want to do -- it's what you were born to do?

3. OK ... let's assume you want to be a Linux system administrator. If
you want to administer systems using some other form of Linux, it's good
training to take the class. If you want a job as a professional Red Hat
Enterprise Linux system administrator, I'd say it's more or less
mandatory that you get an RHCE. It's a competitive job market, so
employers can be choosy. They can require an RHCE for a system
administration position. I don't have any statistics on how many Linux
shops are RHEL shops, and how many of those require RHCEs. But unless
both numbers are growing, Red Hat has a business problem they need to be
solving. :)

4. I don't know anyone who's gotten an RHCE by taking the test only, but
I'm sure it's possible. If you truly truly in your heart of hearts want
to be an RHEL system administrator, spend the money and take the class.