[PLUG] Re: e100 wake on lan not working

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun May 20 07:01:52 UTC 2007

Jason Martin wrote:
> On 5/19/07, Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> # from Eric Wilhelm
>> # on Saturday 19 May 2007 09:44 am:
>>
>>> If the nic has power, I would think that it should wake from S5, which
>>> AFAICT hasn't got anything to do with operating systems or drivers.
>> It is a linux and specifically the e100 module issue.  I managed to
>> reset the boot agent and found that I can wake from poweroff iff I let
>> it get just to the grub menu and kill the power.  That's the boot agent
>> enabling legacy wol.
>>
>> So, a bit too much further reading leads me to understand that the nic
>> has to be left in a particular state by the driver for wol to work.
>> That, and some bugs were introduced in the default etch kernel.  Yay.
>>
>> Now, what's the deal with the e100 driver and all kernels after 2.6.18
>> having really bad regression or something?  And, what's this
>> sourceforge e100 code and should I be using that or is it the same as
>> what's in the kernel?
>>
>> Does anybody have wake on lan from S3 and S5 (or at all) working with
>> the e100?
>
> The sourceforge site is where the Intel developers hang out, and the
> mailing list there is pretty much the best place to get answers like
> this.  The drivers there are typically the latest, since it takes a
> little while to get drivers into the mainstream kernel, and also
> people may wish to run older kernels on newer hardware.
>
> I also think at least one of the developers reads PLUG.

I do :)

I frequently test suspend/resume and wol functionality of e100. If you have
found a bug or an issue, please take it to our list
(e1000-devel at lists.sourceforge.net) or file a bugreport. Currently I am not
aware of any bugs with e100 in recent kernels (2.6.20/21). The driver is very
stable, there are not many fixes going in.

for clarification, we have basically 2 versions of the same driver code. One
lives inside the mainline kernel git tree at kernel.org, and the other is
standalone and has compatibility code glue to make it work on all older kernels
(down to 2.4.20 or so). We do this for all our network drivers (e100, e1000, ixgb).

hth,

Auke