[PLUG] cruisecontrol and tomcat and logs

Ted Kubaska tkubaska at charter.net
Sun May 20 22:39:15 UTC 2007

I'm trying to look at CruiseControl results with a Web browser and am
having tons of difficulty. I'm running Ubuntu Dapper.

The difficulty I have is that I want to look at my CruiseControl results
with my Web Browser (Firefox). I'm also running apache and tomcat. The
problem is that when looking at the CruiseControl webapp with tomcat, it
always tries to open a defunct log file. I even brought up the JMX
console and explicitly set the log dir to what I want it to be but to no
effect.

I made a war file for tomcat by entering

ted at halibut:/opt/cruisecontrol-2.6.2/reporting/jsp$ sh build.sh war

And, as directed, I added an override.properties file in the jsp
directory as follows...

ted at halibut:/opt/cruisecontrol-2.6.2/reporting/jsp$ cat override.properties
user.log.dir=/opt/build.ecf/logs
user.build.status.file=ECFcurrentbuildstatus.txt
cruise.build.artifacts.dir=/opt/build.ecf/logs

When I put the URL http://localhost:8080/cruisecontrol in Firefox, I get
the following error

Context parameter logDir needs to be set to a directory. Currently set to "/home/ted/builds/logs "
I cannot understand how it wants to be that value (which for a previous project was the correct value ...
something is lingering that I cannot get rid of).

At the risk of making this post too long, here is the config.xml file
used by CruiseControl

<cruisecontrol>
  <project name="ecf" buildafterfailed="false">
    <bootstrappers>
      <currentbuildstatusbootstrapper
        file="/opt/build.ecf/logs/ecf/ECFcurrentbuildstatus.txt" />
    </bootstrappers>
    <modificationset quietperiod="600">
      <cvs localworkingcopy="/home/ted/workanon/org.eclipse.ecf/plugins" />
    </modificationset>
    <schedule interval="600">
      <ant buildfile="cc-build.xml" target="ecf.build" />
    </schedule>
    <log dir="/opt/build.ecf/logs/ecf">
       <merge dir="/opt/build.ecf/logs/ecf/test-results" />
    </log>
   </project>
</cruisecontrol>

Anyone want to help an old befuddled guy?
-ted