[PLUG] deep philosophical question

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon May 21 04:28:17 UTC 2007

# from Kurt Sussman
# on Sunday 20 May 2007 08:54 pm:

>But there's nothing like Textmate on any platform. Except the Mac.

Ok.  Better than gvim?

>So there's the freedom issue; Linux is free and OSX isn't.

And the priceless freedom to hack.  I would love to not have to hack on
everything to make things work, but I can't stand being unable to fix
what is broken.

>I'm used to Linux, my servers run Linux, it will save space in my
> brain to use only one OS, I don't like the 'one menubar to rule them
> all' thing, etc. Or are those excuses to keep doing the same
> sub-optimal thing?

Have you tried *using* a mac?  I find that it gets in the way much more
than not.  How much do you like BSD?  Mac is a broken BSD.  If you're
using it for anything besides an ssh terminal, it will probably get
frustrating.  Have fun mounting nfs.  Watch out for the evil
case-insensitive filesystem.

Possibly running linux on something non-dell would help?  Maybe a mac.

--Eric
--
"Because understanding simplicity is complicated."
--Eric Raymond