[PLUG] deep philosophical question

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon May 21 07:53:07 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> writes:

Kurt> So there's the freedom issue; Linux is free and OSX isn't.

Eric> And the priceless freedom to hack.  I would love to not have to
Eric> hack on everything to make things work, but I can't stand being
Eric> unable to fix what is broken.

I attended the PMUG meeting last week to try to observe/diagnose some
wireless issues they were having at Ecotrust (where the monthly PMUG
meetings are held).  I was just lurking, so I didn't speak up when the
PMUG leaders started disparaging Linux ("too many variations", et
al).

Later on in the meeting people started bring up little quirks and
annoyances, where the only available answer was "oh, yeah, that is
annoying ... there isn't a way to fix that" and "call support and
beg".

Free Software doesn't have that problem.  Pick your poison.  I find
freedom (variation and all) more palatable.

FWIW, my T42 thinkpad has been pretty well-supported (suspends,
hibernates, battery lasts 4+ hours, wireless works, etc).

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net