[PLUG] tar

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon May 21 16:28:13 UTC 2007

>>>>> "User" == User Iam <vramnum10 at gmail.com> writes:

User> Hi I am having a small tar problem..

User> I need to move some files from my SCO box to my SLED10 <Suse
User> Linux> box..

User> On SCO I do

User> tar cvf /dev/f0 <file to be moved> The disk lite comes on...
User> And I assume it is writing to sucessfully to it.

User> I was thinking I could use tar xvf /dev/fd0 <file to be
User> moved>.tar in a seperate directory to verify it was actually
User> working??  This doesn't work

User> Is there a better way??

Read the Fine Manual, perhaps?

In the first command, you are writing a tarball to a block device
(from context, I assume it's a floppy).  So, to extract it you just
give it the floppy device.  There is no .tar file per se, since there
is no filesystem on the floppy at that point.

But, to just verify that the tar contains the files as expected,
replace the "c" with a "d" (the "diff" option):

  tar dvf /dev/f0 <file to be moved>

If you really want to extract it to a different place:

  cd /somewhere-new
  tar xvf /dev/f0

should unpack whatever files you tar'd in the first command to the new
location.  There is not foo.tar, remember.  No filesystem on the
floppy at that point.

Or better yet, just use rsync and copy the files over the network,
assuming an SCO box has something remotely 21st Century like that.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net