[PLUG] Resolved: e100 wake on lan not working

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:36:38 UTC 2007

# from Lucas Nussbaum
# on Sunday 20 May 2007 09:28 pm:

>What's the content of /proc/acpi/wakeup ?

Wow!  That's exactly what I needed to know.  Thanks.

  $ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
  Device  Sleep state     Status
  PCI1       4            disabled

So, once I do `echo PCI1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup`, it works from S3.

Recapping, this is what I've had to do.  It would have been great to
have found this under the search "linux wake on lan howto" about 5 days
ago.

  1.  Bios must be enabled for wol.
  2.  ethtool -s eth0 wol g
  3.  echo PCI1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
  4.  echo mem > /sys/power/state
  5.  from another machine: `etherwake $mac_address`

Notes:

1.  Maybe the bios doesn't need to be enabled.  I dunno.  This board's
bios/behavior is very frustrating -- the nic stays lit even if I set
"onboard lan: disabled" in the bios!  :-/

2.  Just need to ensure that `ethtool eth0` says: "Supports Wake-on: g"

3.  The echo just toggles the value, so the following is more correct.
Now, I just need to choose the "correct" place to put it in the init
scripts.
  grep 'PCI1.*enabled' < /proc/acpi/wakeup >/dev/null || \
    echo PCI1  > /proc/acpi/wakeup

4.  I can't use /etc/acpi/sleep.sh on debian etch (at least not with the
kernel from linux-image-2.6.18-4-686.)  It appears to have something to
do with ifdown or rmmod (though manual ifdown and/or rmmod and str works
fine), but I'm not going to dig around in that right now.

Also note, I still cannot wol from suspend-to-disk or poweroff with this
board.  That *sort of* aligns with the MB docs, which say "S5 is only
supported with WOL cable" and "onboard lan uses PME not WOL" -- except
(ugh) putting the nic in legacy mode from the boot agent allows wol
from cold power off, so hmmph.  In any case, what I really wanted was
wake from ram and I got it so I'm happy.  Possibly S5 is fixed in
2.6.21 or something -- if I get around to that I'll let you know.

Thanks to all for the help.

Hopefully google will index this, but it would really help to have some
recent, easy-to-find documentation regarding the steps required for
"linux wake-on-lan / driver / acpi / ethtool".  The scyld page appears
to have been down for some time now and most everything else I found
was at least a couple years old.

Thanks,
Eric
--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail were randomly generated by
the computer and do not necessarily reflect the views of its owner.