[PLUG] It was going so well...

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Wed May 23 05:27:23 UTC 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Ed Sawicki wrote:

> For the past few years I've been fortunate not
> to have to support Windows desktops. Now that
> may be changing a bit. I need to be able to
> disinfect a Windows box without having to spend
> any significant amount of time keeping up with
> the goings on in the Windows insecurity world.

New batch of updates/changes every month on 'MS Tuesday', new viruses
as they hit, so sometimes 'Tuesdays' setup is bad by Wednesday....

> I want to be able to boot from a CDROM and have
> the discovery and removal of viruses and other
> critters automated to a high degree. I've tried
> the free Ultimate CD for Windows (or some such
> similar name) but it doesn't do a good job.

I'd go with a baseline monthly install (post tuesday setup), and
maybe a USB flash drive with a decent anti-virus (and out of process
MS releases), so you aren't burning new CD's every few days. Such a
thing would require USB on all your hosts, of course.

-Bop