[PLUG] Toshiba laptop & Ubuntu

Bruce Kilpatrick bakil_win at verizon.net
Wed May 23 19:07:06 UTC 2007

Good day all,

I have been laid up with a badly sprained ankle this last week and have
been trying once again to successfully install Ubuntu Feisty to a
Toshiba Satellite P35-S609 laptop.  The machine is loaded with a P4 3.2,
2g of memory, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP, and am currently using the
Atheros wireless restricted drivers (HAL).

The problem I am having is the OS will hum along happily for a while and
then will hang.  I still have mouse cursor and movement, but all running
programs seem to halt in mid stride.  If I try to Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of the
GUI...it tries and stalls part way out.  I tried installing the Kubuntu
desktop and it reacts the same.

The install went without a hitch.  The only message I see upon boot up
(with quiet & splash) is about a timer bios something or another.  If
this seems important to you I will read it and relay the exact text to you.

I have resorted to the Win partition of this computer to try your
patience with my questions.  I will be rebooting to try what you
recommend or to fetch more info.

I have had this same experience with Edgy.  Should you be looking for a
different disto?  Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce