[PLUG] HP & Linux in Financial News

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu May 24 21:40:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 11:35 -0700, Sean Whitney wrote:
> I don't know.  I haven't looked at the SAN offerings lately, I just
> received a call telling me that debian was out because EMC refused to
> support anything linux other than RH.
>

> Sean

Mondo backup has an easier time with Redhat based distros than
debian and gentoo.  Linux support should mean, works with Linux.
To accomplish that though, you almost need a completely
open spec product.  Why won't big companies maintain
drivers for 2-3 major Linux distributions?  Support Debian,
Redhat (and derivatives), Gentoo, and Ubuntu and you've
covered almost everyone.  Because of Linux Standards Base,
there should only be a few problem areas.

What is wrong with a license that says, "Here is the hardware
spec free of charge as long as you don't use it to produce
our product without either a: fairly compensating us or b:
getting a license from us to produce it?  Obviously, any
part of our designs that are in the public domain can be
produced by you without a license from us to do so.  You
may write software to work with our design under any license
so long as noone else's use of it is negatively impacted."
If companies would do the above or something close enough,
Linux support, I believe, would get much better.

I'm not a lawyer, so clearly someone can blow holes through
this.  Maybe it's a place to start though ;-)

     Michael C. Robinson