[PLUG] HP & Linux in Financial News

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu May 24 22:17:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 02:26:33PM -0700, Dan Young wrote:
> On 5/24/07, Sean Whitney <sean.whitney at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I don't know.  I haven't looked at the SAN offerings lately, I just
> >received a call telling me that debian was out because EMC refused to
> >support anything linux other than RH.
>
> The reason I ask is that's a binary-only kernel module for multipath I/O.
> PowerPath 4.5.1 for Linux supports:
> • RHEL 4.0 Update 3.
> • SLES 9 SP3.

I haven't wrangled with FC since '03.  Looks like multipathing has been
in the kernel since 2.6.5, and a quick Google survey indicates that
native multipathing works much better than PowerPath.

> So yeah, binary kernel modules == bad.

Stupid, too.  But it fits the model already established by the
proprietary OSes.  And who wants to learn a new support/development
model just to support one more measly OS?