[PLUG] Home Network Hardware Choices

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri May 25 22:41:10 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> The next simplest solution is to just get another 10/100 switch to
> replace the hub. The question then, is what brands to avoid. The C-net
> switch has never given me any trouble, at least none that I know of. The
> Netgear Router has also been reliable. ENU has a no-brand 8-port 10/100
> switch for $22, and a Trendnet 8-port 10/100 switch for $24. After that,
> the speeds go up to 10/100/1000, and the price doubles.

I was very, very happy with my Linksys EtherFast 4116  (made by cisco, iirc)

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416900037&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I used it for about a year, and it's been sitting in an anti-static
bag since.  I've since moved all my servers to a colo and have no use
for it any more, as all my home networking is wifi these days.  It's
fairly compact, but does have brackets to make it fit into a 19" 1U
rack slot.

If anyone is interested in a switch that works great (and wouldn't
cost much, say $30-35?), let me know :) (I'm in Seattle unfortunately,
so I'd have to ship it or bring it down next time I visit family in
stump town)

--Rogan