[PLUG] Small distros for older machines

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Mon May 28 00:39:03 UTC 2007

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from Keith Lofstrom
> # on Sunday 27 May 2007 01:41 pm:
>

>> What are some decent distros with active security updating that
>> still provide a decent user experience (static page browser,
>> pdf, email, word processing) on older machines?
>>
>> What works with 128M?
>> What works with  64M?
>>

>   http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en
>

>> What works with  32M?
>>

>   http://www.us.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch02s05.html.en
>
> I'm guessing this all assumes an untuned kernel or something.  I would
> actually be surprised if etch wouldn't run on 32MB.  Maybe the
> installer assumes 48MB?
>
> --Eric

I managed to get Woody to run including KDE 2 in a 32 MB Toshiba
Libretto 70 (133 MHz Pentium MMX, IIRC) with a 1.5 GB hard drive. I'm
guessing it would run better with Windowmaker. You have to do some
hacking to get things into it, however -- it won't boot a Debian floppy,
so I put DOS 5.0 on the first 25 meg of the hard drive and bootstrapped
install media in that way. I might go back to it when I get some free
time if I can pick up a new battery for it -- it's a nice little machine.