[PLUG] Dell and Ubuntu

Pomeroy Lab admin at mindblowingidea.com
Tue May 29 05:55:38 UTC 2007

RIGHT ON!

znmeb at cesmail.net wrote: Quoting "Kenneth B. Hill" :

> My Gateway laptop ships with 64-bit. It runs Ubuntu Edgy (I think
> this is the current version just fine); however, I had to install the
> i386 version of Ubuntu last year because of recommendations to not
> use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu at that time. I've been using an
> older Linksys wireless card (about 5 years old) on my laptop and that
> works fine. Yes, the laptop uses a PCMCIA wireless card that is built
> into the board. I think my experience is just another example of the
> lack of hardware drivers for the numerous Linux distros.

There is no "lack of hardware drivers for the numerous Linux distros". What
there is a lack of is Linux drivers that will satisfy both the needs of
corporations for profits and the needs of the "open source community" for
freedom of software. So the free as in speech drivers have limits in their
capabilities, and the non-free ones have limits in the way you can legally use
them. For example, I'm perfectly happy with the non-free-speech "nvidia"
drivers on my new machine, because I get twice as many frames per second with
them. If that pisses off Eric Raymond or Richard Stallman, well, too bad. :)