[PLUG] using VM Ware for "real" work -- has any one had success with this?

Pomeroy Lab admin at mindblowingidea.com
Tue May 29 19:59:56 UTC 2007

stems to work for me just fine. However VMWare server free version seems to be designed for the 32 bit architecture.

Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote: On 5/29/07, Rogan Creswick  wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Jason Martin  wrote:
> > Right, it is a feature of workstation, or of other ways to create/edit
> > the VMware image.  You should be able to edit the .vmx file directly
> > (while the VM isn't running obviously) and edit the memsize line.
>
> Ah.. I hadn't thought to check the file.  I'd assumed it was binary.
> As soon as I get this word doc printed, I'll move it up to 750 or so.

I checked the .vmx -- it is set to use 764 megs, which is about all I
can spare, so I'll just have to keep an eye on that when I upgrade to
two gigs of physical memory.

I went through the guest OS and disabled every resident program I
could find that wasn't required (mostly through msconfig).  It's
actually running much better now -- I think the thrashing was largely
due to an antivirus upgrade / scan that I postponed.

Thanks for the input :)

--Rogan