[PLUG] using VM Ware for "real" work -- has any one had success with this?

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed May 30 02:14:42 UTC 2007

I've never gotten good performance with XP as a
virtual machine even if I try to run it as a 10gig
image.  XP seems to be simply far too heavy for
emulation.

There is XPLite which might help, but I've never actually
purchased a copy so I can't say for certain that it will
help.

Another option is to make a substantial contribution to
the ReactOS project now and down the road run the first
beta or better vmware image of it that comes out in player.

I hear that crossover office supports some versions of
Office, but not the current releases.

2000 seems to work a whole lot better than XP under
vmware where 2000 is the oldest version of Windows you
can still get the updates for if you hurry.  Office 2003
and Visual Studio, at least a student copy I have, work
in 2000.  If you want an order to install updates in,
ask me.  Don't let Windows Update put them on, search
for them via Windows Download Center!!!!!

     Michael C. Robinson