[PLUG] Posting history crisis...

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Wed May 30 02:53:45 UTC 2007

someone wrote:

> American whois databases tend to be filled with real names, addresses,
> and phone numbers.

I merely meant that I started with your name and domain name and went
from there.  Because you use your own personal domain email, it's much
easier to narrow down on you.  I'm not saying people should fear doing
that, it's just a fact.  I would imaging someone who is /concerned/
about being identified wouldn't do this.

I have seen for an extra fee, you can privatize your whois info without
upsetting ICANN rules.  I've not looked into this for more than 20
seconds so I don't understand anything of how it works.  But one could
try that with their domains.  Also, PO boxes could be used instead of
physical addresses as well as other creative ideas possibly.

> How do you stop people from knowing what lists you are subscribed
> to via google?

Use an email that is not associated with your actual name or domain
name.  The account that comes with your ISP, or gmail/hotmail/yahoo
should work.  If you hit up google for "m0gely" your going to know alot
about me pretty quick.  But none of it is linked to anything other than
the name m0gely.  But even if a person used two or three screen names
when subscribing to online forums it wouldn't be easy to link them together.

--
- m0gely