[PLUG] Serial <> Ethernet bridging.

Jay D. Allen jay at f2it.com
Wed May 30 06:40:19 UTC 2007

I don't know about that product, but ye-old classic terminal servers
(like the original Cisco boxes) had a "reverse telnet" function where
the serial ports are accessed via port 20xx, where xx is the serial port
number.  I googled the digi box, and it claims to support "reverse
telnet", but the details are not obvious.

-Jay D Allen

Russell Johnson wrote:
> I have a digi etherlite 32. Basically, it has one ethernet port, and
> 32 serial ports.
>
> It requires drivers that make it appear as 32 additional serial ports
> to the system the drivers are installed on.
>
> I would like to find some bridge that allows me to assign a tcp/ip
> port to list on, and that connection would look at the designated
> serial port.
>
> Maybe I'm making this too complicated and I just need to configure
> *getty, but my understanding is that's for going the other way. i.e.
> the serial port connects to the linux box, and getty handles the
> serial port part. I want to "telnet" to a designated tcp/ip port, and
> have that ethernet connection redirected through the designated com port.
>
> I've done some googling, but nothing appears to be what I want.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Russ

Jay D. Allen
jay at f2it.com