[PLUG] flixster spam

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed May 30 15:24:12 UTC 2007

Anybody else getting "join flixster" spams, allegedly from real users?
This is a movie recommendation service, which looks like it would be
interesting in other circumstances.  However, in actual fact, when
you sign up, they ask for the password for your email account (on
hotmail or gmail) and then use that to access your address book and
send out daily "invitations" to all your "friends" to join flixster.

One of the participants in a mailing list that I run was dumb enough
to sign up for flixster.  I've warned him, and got him on moderation,
but the daily spams (coming from their email accounts, not flixster)
are becoming a nuisance.  I will probably remove him from the list.

The CEO of flixster thinks this is legitimate, "because youtube and
linkedin and others do it".  No they don't.  Lying bastard.  If
anybody hears of a class action lawsuit against this bastard, and
the venture organizations funding him, I would be glad to join.

If anyone here is stupid enough to join flixster and give them the
password for their email account, that person is getting blacklisted
on my email server and hopefully on the plug lists.

Keith